Monday, October 10, 2011

Wasting Time

This weekend I spent most of two days trying to paint a painting for which I had not prepared myself. I started on a new piece, working from a photo that I had taken last year. I knew something didn't feel right about the composition – it clearly had a disturbing feeling of being split down the center. Also, the photo was taken with a wide angle lens so things were out of whack already.

A bad reference photo needed to be analyzed more thoroughly.

My mistake was that I made a quick sketch or two, convincing myself that I had thought through the design problems and then dove into the painting. This resulted in painting, wiping off, repainting, wiping off etc., until I finally made myself put down the brushes because I was only wasting time and paint.

What did I learn?
  • Resolve your composition issues up front – they won't resolve themselves.
  • When you know you are not patient enough to paint mindfully, stop and go back to it later.
  • Some days are meant for yard work or cleaning where you can turn your brain off.

Will I remember not to pick up my brush when this happens next time? Maybe not, but I'll try.
On a more successful note, earlier in the weekend I finished up a painting that I started outdoors. I broke my own rule about not touching a plein-air piece when I get back to the studio but was able to justify this, because I really needed the painting for an upcoming show.

The piece was going well enough that I was pretty sure I could finish it without disaster. I did follow the rule about not looking at a color photo, though, and I really believe this is crucial. I relied on the black and white photo to guide me as far as details and values but stayed true to the color that I had placed on the canvas when I was out in the field. I was happy with the outcome.

I got good results by keeping the colors I applied originally.

You will learn something every time you paint!

No comments: