Sunday, February 3, 2013

Drawing with Friends

Several times a week I have an opportunity to meet with friends and draw.  I usually don't attend more than one of these sessions per week, but it is a great way to connect with other artists and share ideas while practicing one of the most essential art skills.

One weekly event started as something called a Drawing Circle. I began drawing with these folks over 10 years ago and have been joining them off and on ever since. At the drawing circle we sat in a circle with sketch books and drew each other drawing. Nowadays, the artists take turns sitting still and posing while the rest of the group draws them, which is much easier. The people are interesting to talk to - I usually come away with a book or movie recommendation or some information I didn't have when I got there, which I always welcome.

Saturday I attended the drawing circle and had such a great time that I thought I would share some of my work with my blog readers.



You might want to consider starting your own group. You can meet at a coffee shop or gallery for a couple of hours a week and you'll soon be amazed at the improvement you see in your drawings. It's a good idea to time the poses - we do 15 or 20 minutes, depending upon the model's stamina. It's also a great way to get friends and family involved - they can accompany you and serve as models. No competition, just draw. If you don't want to show anyone your work, close the sketchbook when you've finished. But I bet soon you'll want to share your progress with your fellow drawers.

Happy drawing!

No comments: