Sunday, April 28, 2013

Pastels: Get You Hands Dirty

The past two weeks at the Assisted Living Center, where I am volunteering, we worked with pastels.

I sat and drew with them rather than teaching.
The first week, I took an assortment of old pastels and let everyone just choose a few out of the box. I sat at the table and drew with them, rather than attempt to teach. It was more fun for me and they just did their own thing, asking questions when they needed to. I realized quickly that I didn't have enough stuff when they started to ask for specific colors, including black and white, and something with a smaller point for details.

Although many pastel artists never pick up a pure black or white stick and they don't paint every detail, I didn't think it was the time to tell these folks any of this!

They had to use these in place of black and white
 I dug around in the box for the darkest and lightest thing I could find and they had to make do. As for details, they had to use the pointed corners of the square sticks.

The other mistake I made was including some soft pastels in the mix. Way too messy! Everyone was clamoring for paper towels and I had to run around the halls looking for someone to find some and dampen them for me.

I decided to go back to watercolors the next week, until the Activity Director told me how excited they were about working with pastels. One lady who had moved in recently was thrilled with her drawing and had a good day, which is something to cherish in this situation. Good thing I got that piece of news before the next class!

We needed more colors so I took this box to class the next week.

The following week I filled a bigger box with more colored sticks and a box of pastel pencils for details. I took out the messier soft pastel and added wet wipes for our hands to my gear. It was a hit again. People left the room telling everyone they met in the hall how much they loved pastels.

Pastel pencils for the details.
Next week they will wear their oldest clothes, those who watched from the sideline may join in and I will bring wax paper to cover the masterpieces. Each time is a lesson for them and for me.

No comments: